The Harper-Alexander House

    If these walls could talk...what stories we would hear...
 What we do know is that in 1885 Charles Alexander and his two brothers, Jim and Dave, arrived in Scott from Ashville, North Carolina. They traveled the last 50 miles on foot.
Charles worked hard and was honest and frugal and bought this land  and in 1904 he hired architect, Charles Louis Thompson to build this house. The original name for the plantation was Longbridge Plantation.
   The Harper-Alexander house, as we lovingly call it, is a Greek Revival style mansion, which recalls democracy's origins in ancient Athens. The house is crowned with a high hipped roof,  a two-story  portico, supported by round wood columns with Ionic capitals, that dominate the façade. A second-story balcony projects over the entry and features paired brackets. The interior of this lovely intimate home of 6000 square feet features twelve-foot ceilings of beautiful pressed tin, each with a different design.
Charles Alexander married Blanch Pemberton and they had two children, Margaret  and Charles Jr. The house was called the "Big House" by family, friends and workers. The plantation bell located at the side of the house, is he original bell which rang each day at noon to bring the workers from the field. The was a cotton gin next to the house and the lot next door is still called The Gin Lot.

The following are portions of a letter written by a loving granddaughter, Carolyn Mayo, about her life in the “Big House”.  Click here. *****



picture of the house, cindy newcomb's